Sauteed tomatoes with egg was one of my comfort food while growing up in the province of Nueva Ecija. It still is one of my comfort food today. While you can eat it as is, I normally pair this with fried fish (galunggong or GG is the best!) or pork. The more garlic, onions and fresh tomatoes in it, the better.
This is one easy peasy recipe that I’m sure you can whip up at home:
1 tbsp. cooking oil
4 to 6 fresh tomatoes, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized red onion, sliced
1 egg, beaten
a dash of sugar (to balance the sourness of the tomatoes)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a pan and add the oil.
2. Throw in the garlic. When the garlic has turned a little brown, add the onions and cooked until translucent.
3. Add the tomatoes. Stir all the ingredients until the skin of the tomatoes have been separated from the flesh and the juices have almost dried up.
3. Pour the beaten egg to the mix and stir everything again.
4. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Serve and enjoy.
I used to eat my sauteed tomatoes with egg with lotsa white rice. But I’ve recently shifted to brown rice, so I now eat it with that. Haha. 🙂