This Baked Lapu-Lapu (or grouper in English) is inspired by the restaurant La Cocina de Tita Moning’s Baked Lapu-lapu Cooked with Olive Oil and Garlic. (I work there part-time so I’m unabashedly promoting it here on the blog, haha.) Proof to that is the use of bread crumbs to cover the top part of the fish. This tasty and flavorful fish dish will make you feel like a domestic diva. It’s so easy to make yet it is classy enough to be served during special occasions.
10 pcs. calamansi (or 1 lemon)
¼ cup soy sauce (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
toasted garlic bits (prepared beforehand)
1. Place the cleaned-up fish in a baking dish. Pour calamansi juice and soy sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and marinate for 30 minutes. Put inside the ref.
2. Get the marinated fish from the ref. Pour some olive oil over it, just enough to cover its whole body.
3. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350°F.
4. After the 30-minute baking time is over, take it out of the oven and turn the fish to cook the other side. Put bread crumbs on the fish, just enough to cover its top part. Pour some trimmings and juice from the baking dish over the bread crumbs to help them stick to the fish. Bring it back into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes at 350°F.
5. When baking has finished, remove from the oven.
6. Transfer the fish carefully from the baking dish to the serving plate.
7. Put just enough hot water to the trimmings and juices left on the baking dish and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture in a pan (heated under low fire) and add some butter to it to make a tasty sauce. Mix some more and once boiling, remove from heat.
8. Pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle lots of toasted garlic before serving.
picture of the dish when I cooked it last Labor Day weekend
La Cocina de Tita Moning’s Baked Lapu-Lapu on lower right (still without toasted garlic but normally, they sprinkle lots of toasted garlic to it before serving), image taken from their FB Page
This dish is already good for two to three people with normal appetites.
Please note that you may adjust the amount of ingredients as you deem necessary. If ever you’d like to cook this at your home, let me know how it turns out.
Happy eating! 🙂